Latest News of Sailing Sports and Boat Racing Events
Are you a fan of water sports? If your answer is ‘yes’, ocean boat racing is one of the most enthralling water sports. Water sports provide a unique opportunity for players to show their skills for a worthy cause. In this post, we will take a closer look at one of the leading ocean race competitions: Volvo Ocean Race.
What is Volvo Ocean Race Edition?
The Volvo Ocean Race is a water sport that was started in 1973 and is held after every three to four years. Initially, it was referred to as Whitebred Round the World Race before taking the current name, Volvo Ocean Race, after Volvo, a Swedish automaker, took over its sponsorship.
Although the Volvo ocean race route is altered to incorporate different ports of call, the racing starts in Europe around October. Recent racing featured nine-ten legs with varying in-ports and stopovers. During the 2017-2018 competition, racing started in Alicante, Spain, and ended in The Hague, Netherlands.
How to Become an Ocean Race Sailor?
If you are aspiring to become an ocean sailor and compete in the Volvo Ocean race, you need to be a good sailor. Indeed, there are no direct applications. Instead, sailors are approached or recommended because of their qualifications. Because competitions take place in teams, every team is required to have the following:
Best Classes of Sailboats and Yachts
The Volvo Ocean Race is a tough voyage that requires not just personal skills, but the best boats. The goal is ensuring that you have the right boat that can race fast and complete the race with no or minimal breakdowns. Here are the main types of sailboats and yachts that you should consider if thinking of ocean racing.
- Finn: This is a single-handled, cat-rigged Olympic class of boat for sailing.
- Laser: This is another popular one-design class of small sailing dinghy. It can be sailed by either one or two people.
- H-Boat: This is a one-single keelboat design that has become very popular especially in the Nordic Countries and Central Europe. The crew consists of three people.
- C-Class: This is a high-performance sailing class boat. It is very light and uses rigid wing sails that make it able to clock top speeds. Boats in this category are very common in boat racing competition.
- Byte: This is a one-design sailing dinghy that is sailed by one person. It is one of the most preferred boats for sole sailing and light boat racing competitions.
Other Popular Boat Racing World's Events
In addition to the Volvo Ocean Race, there are other boats racing competitions that you can watch and enjoy their gameplay. Note that the requirements for the boat racing might be different depending on the nature of the competitions and location.
- Vic-Maui Yacht Race: Starts at Victoria, Canada and ends at Lahaina in Hawaii.
- Transpacific Yacht Race: This racing competition starts at Point Fermin, San Pedro and Ends in Honolulu.
- Fastnet: This event covers 600 miles from Cowes, the Isle of Wight to Plymouth.
- Newport to Bermuda Race: This is an Australian race that starts from Sydney to Hobart, Tasmania.
- Coastal Classic: This boat race competition covers 125 miles from Auckland to Russel.
In addition to watching the above events, you also have the opportunity to bet on them online. You can do this through top online sports betting that provide punters with the opportunity to bet on the boat race outcomes. Besides sports betting on sportsbooks, the best way to bet on top ocean races is through online casinos. When you sign for an account in a leading online casino, you get the user interface that provides access to various sports. Note that you should only consider using the legal casinos.
Another impressive thing about online casinos is that you have the opportunity to enjoy different casino bonuses. The casino bonuses allow you to place bets on water sports for free and the opportunity to win real money. Remember to check the conditions attached to such casino bonuses before using them to place bets. For example, most legal casinos place turnover requirements before punters can withdraw real money won with the bonuses.
Who Won Volvo Ocean Race 2018?
A closer look at the performance of every Volvo Race indicates that each race is more competitive compared to the previous one. For example, the 2018 competition was tighter compared to the Volvo Ocean race 2016. During the 2018 race, the competition was worn by Charles Caudrelier. He is a French sailor and a merchant navy officer born in 1974. Previously, he had also won the Solitaire du Figaro race of 2004 and Transat Jacques Vabre competitions of 2009 and 2013.
The Final Take
The Volvo Ocean Race is one of the leading competitions that no one wants to miss. It you want to participate, it is a real test of skills and endurance in the sea. Make sure to have the best boat and crew!